Tuesday, February 7, 2012

And on that same note...

***Warning*** This post is VERY OPINIONATED. I don't apologize for my stance...but maybe just a little for how firmly I state it. Be forewarned. 

I also want to preface this post by saying that every person who has an abundance of disposable stuff does not harbor a deep-seated disrespect for human life and relationships.

I know this.

What I am protesting is the DISPOSABLE MINDSET.

So...here goes.

Buckle up and hang on.


*******
I am appalled at the huge amount of waste I see around me.

Food.

Clothing.

Gadgets.

Toys.

Paper.

Packaging.

I am truly disgusted.

Our society holds very little regard for things.

The paradox is that we are the most materialistic, overloaded people ever, drowning in piles and piles of plastic, synthetic stuff.

We are never satisfied. That new item we HAD to have is outdated in a month.

I was given this cherished iPhone 4 last March.

By September I was asked if I wanted the new 4S out in October.

What a GENEROUS OFFER!!

But, no.

Really!

I love my phone. I am thankful for my phone. I don't know what I would DO without my phone.

But it's only 7 months old. I really DON'T NEED ANOTHER ONE...even if it's cool and has new features. 

We throw away mountains of stuff.

Packaging.

Plastic bags.

Toss away...throw away EVERYTHING.

Disposable plates. Napkins. Cups. Even flatware.

I know a family who eats EVERY MEAL on disposables because they don't like to wash dishes.

I cannot imagine this.

What about loving your family by taking the time to set the table?

With a tablecloth.

And real, metal flatware.

And napkins.

But I digress. You see...

It isn't only the money spent on things we throw away that bothers me.

It isn't even the burgeoning landfills.

It is the DISPOSABLE MINDSET.

If our belongings are not worth valuing then what is?

Are relationships? The divorce rate and amount of completely dysfunctional families would indicate no.

What about human life? The number of babies lost to abortion and thousands of elderly dying alone in nursing facilities say no.

How about personal integrity?

Financial integrity?

Pride in appearance and deportment?

Discretion in conversation?

Plain old-fashioned courtesy and good manners?

For the most part no, no, no, no, and no.

I know it seems a little farfetched, comparing abortion and plastic baggies.

What I see is the mindset "If I throw this away I can just get another one."

Whether it's a baby, a husband or another trendy $5 toy from Wal-Mart.

"When I get tired of this one I'll find a new one I like better."

"If this inconveniences me I'll just get rid of it."

"Oh, man...that one broke. Oh, well. It was only $5."

It seems that little is valued in our society.

I contrast this to my grandmother's generation. The generation of "waste not-want not" and "use it up".

They had less than we do. Much less.

Fewer belongings.

Fewer clothes, dishes, toys...stuff.

My grandparents were not centered around THINGS.

They valued people.

Popcorn, hot chocolate and a board game.

The ball game on the radio.

A phone conversation with a distant loved one.

They HAD things. They ENJOYED things. But their THINGS were respected and KEPT IN THEIR PROPER PLACE.

It is so sad to see moms screaming at their kids for accidentally soiling their clothes or spilling a drink.

PEOPLE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THINGS.

Grandma's gifts were often homemade. You knew she thought about you...PLANNED to bless you.

YOU!

And I know that grandma thought modern innovations were great.

Vacuum cleaners and dishwashers and microwaves are awesome.

But even though she had these things and enjoyed them, she did not live long enough to become infected with the disease that is epidemic in our society...

"Give me more NOW! I DESERVE it...even though I didn't earn it and probably won't value it."

She worked hard for what she had a took care of what she acquired.

She respected her possessions AND her relationships and we, her family, did too.

I have a bowl that is 72 years old. My grandma got it for her wedding. It is old and has a chip on one side. But I love it because it represents all I have said so far in this (very opinionated) post.

It has endured...and I value it.

My girls all want it, and someday it will pass to another generation who will treasure it.

Yes. It is JUST A BOWL.

But it represents a whole different mindset.

One I am determined to embrace.

Frugality.

Valuing people and possessions.

Owning less and taking better care of it.

Purchasing things for their value and durability, not for their trendiness or because they are cheap.

Why buy 20 $1 items you don't need just because they are $1?

So...

My goal this year is to own less.

Use as few disposables as I can.

Break from modern thinking and learn to value and appreciate what I already have instead of constantly lusting for MORE STUFF.

Purge my current possessions of cheap, disposable things and carefully consider every future purchase, making sure to buy things of superior quality that I (truly) need.

Not to buy things I DON'T need just because someone else has them.

And to, in my little corner of the world, teach by precept and example a respect for relationships, people, and possessions.

To live a life of abundance with less.

And to have more than I ever thought it was possible to have when I was wallowing in oceans of stuff.

Here's to TRUE progress...clean, tidy spaces.

A few well-chosen possessions.

Good food.

Family and friends and the time to enjoy them.

And the peace that comes from keeping everything...from plates and cups to my marriage...in the best condition I possibly can.

Here's to love, hard work, attention, and time...all lavished on what means most to me:

My home and my family.

We all leave a legacy.

I want mine to be an intentional life, well-lived...one that reflects a proper respect for things and a true understanding of the value of people.

It's time for a change in our world, our society, our thoughts...and the only person I can change is me.


1 comment:

  1. Well said Beth.. this last Christmas I was particularly appalled by the sight of a 'rugger scrum' of young women pushing and shoving to load their arms full of stuff.. ugh.

    ReplyDelete