Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Things I Do Not Know...

I don't know why Sis. Sherri Long from Calgary, Alberta Canada had to die today.

This lady...who I never met...was by all accounts an amazing woman of God. A teacher, prayer warrior, mother, wife, given to hospitality, loving, gracious, others-minded, and kind.

She fell ill with what she thought was the flu on Monday and passed away today.

Wednesday.

The miracle of internet communication and an Instagram account informed me of this progression.

I prayed for her. I was very burdened. I asked God to raise her up...to restore her health. I questioned that her work here was finished...with so many lives touched by people in both Canada and the United States HOW could it be possible that her time here should end?

Yet today the short message came:

"Sherri gone."

And I am left saying "I don't know..."



I don't know why our dear Crystal Stephen was taken from us. We were robbed of her godly influence as, for several years, cancer ate slowly through every defense that was offered.

In the end it took the life of a lady that has never been replaced in works, character, creativity or sensitivity.



I don't know why young father of 5, husband, attorney, and friend Michael English was ripped from this life in a tragic boating accident.

He left his wife, 4 sons and a months-old daughter.

In many ways none of us have fully recovered from his loss. There is still a gaping hole in the fabric of our faith community.



On a lesser scale of impact I don't know why dear people I love have lost everything in this recent recession.

Homes gone to foreclosure.

Jobs sacrificed to cut-backs and downsizing companies.

Friend's businesses closing their doors.

Credit lost to bankruptcies.

Vehicles repossessed.

Furniture and treasures sold to keep surviving.

These are good people.

Faithful people.

They pay their bills.

They are not deadbeat citizens always looking for an easy way out, a charitable service, or governmental freebie.

I don't know why I am watching single moms struggle to feed their children.

I don't know why I am watching elders on fixed incomes slowly scale back...and back...and back again...in order to make their money last through the month.

I don't know why food, gasoline, rents, household products and clothing prices have risen dramatically the last few years.

We have less to spend.

Yet prices are rising at an unprecedented rate.

I don't know why we are seeing increased cancer, disease, genetic anomalies, heart disease, and diabetes.

The strength and wisdom of the medical community is at an all-time high. We have never before had the knowledge, research facilities, medicines, procedures, sanitation...pure ability...to treat and prevent sickness. Yet we are seeing more debilitating disease and death than it seems we should.

I am opening myself up to criticism here. I know that. It's nothing new.

A lot of folks would be glad to tell me "why" some of these things are happening.

And when they are done we still will not TRULY know.

It's frustrating.

So I intend to focus on what I DO know.

I DO know this...

GOD IS IN CONTROL.

GOD KNOWS MORE THAN I KNOW.

AND GOD LOVES ME. (And you!!!)

(Thank you, Rev. Tim Bollmann)

And I will be peaceful KNOWING that I don't have to explain any of these things.

I will offer what comfort I can.

I will be a listening ear and a helping hand.

I will be cheerful and thankful and do all I can to grow my faith and build the faith of others.

I will offer praise to the God who DOES know, and I will do my best to walk carefully and circumspectly before Him.

I will be careful to not charge God foolishly...and like Job I will do my best to say:

"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!"

Because who am I to demand explanations from the Creator of all things?

The things I don't know will always nag at my human-ness.

But what I DO KNOW will always rise above the nagging voice of doubt to freely declare:

"...nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."

2 Timothy 1:12 KJV

And that's all I need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment